In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the steps to highlight text in PowerPoint and provide you with some tips and tricks to make your presentation stand out.
If you’re looking to make your PowerPoint presentation more visually appealing and engaging, highlighting text can be a great way to do so.
However, if you’re not familiar with the process, it can be challenging to figure out how to highlight text in PowerPoint.
So here are the steps to highlight text in un your presentations…
How to Highlight Text in PowerPoint Step-by-Step Instructions
Now that you understand why highlighting text is important, let’s get into how to do it. Here’s a step-by-step guide to highlighting text in PowerPoint:
- Highlight text you want to highlight.
- Click on the “Home” tab in the PowerPoint ribbon.
- Click on the “Text Highlight Color” button, which looks like a highlighter pen.
- Choose the color you want to use for highlighting by clicking on the dropdown menu.
- Then the selected text should be highlighted. Click on the “Text Highlight Color” button again to exit highlighting mode.
Customizing Your Highlighted Text
In addition to choosing colors and different styles for highlighting, you can also customize the formatting of your highlighted text in PowerPoint. Here are some options for customizing your highlighted text:
Highlighting Text With the Font Color
Another way to highlight text in PowerPoint is by changing the font color. While this method may not provide the same visual impact as traditional highlighting, it can be a good option for when you want a more subtle effect or to maintain the formatting of the text.
To highlight text with the font color, follow these steps:
Step 1: Select the text you want to highlight.
Step 2: In the PowerPoint ribbon, click on the “Font Color” button (the icon that looks like an “A” with a colored bar underneath it).
Step 3: Choose the color you want to use to highlight the text.
Step 4: Repeat steps 1-3 as needed for other sections of text.
Tips: When using this method to highlight text, it’s important to choose a color that contrasts well with the text color. For example, if the text is black, a yellow or green font color can be effective.
Highlighting Text With the Text Box
Another way to highlight text in PowerPoint is by using a text box. This method can be effective when you want to draw attention to a specific section of text or when you want to create a more visually appealing design.
To highlight text with a text box, follow these steps:
Step 1: Insert a text box onto the slide.
Step 2: Type in the text you want to highlight.
Step 3: Format the text box to your desired size and shape.
Step 4: Use the “Text Fill” and “Text Outline” options in the “Shape Format” tab of the ribbon to choose a color for the text box.
Step 5: Adjust the transparency of the text box to make the text more or less visible.
Step 6: Place the text box over the section of text you want to highlight.
Tips: When using this method to highlight text, it’s important to make sure the text box does not obscure any other important elements on the slide. Additionally, it’s important to choose a color and transparency level that complements the overall design of the presentation.
Highlighting Text With the Shapes
Another way to highlight your text is to use the Shapes tool. This allows you to create a colored rectangle behind your text.
To highlight text using the Shapes tool:
- First, click on the Insert tab.
- Click on Shapes and choose the first option under Rectangles.
- Click and drag to draw a rectangle that covers the word.
- The word will disappear behind the rectangle, but we will fix this shortly.
- Now click on Shape Format. If you can’t see this menu, click on the shape to make it appear.
- Click Shape Fill and select the color you want.
- Click on Shape Outline and select No Outline.
- Finally, click on Send Backward to put the rectangle behind your text.
- Your text should now appear in front of the rectangle.
Highlighting Text With SmartArt
Another way to highlight text in PowerPoint is by using SmartArt. SmartArt is a tool in PowerPoint that allows you to create diagrams and visual representations of information. By using SmartArt to highlight text, you can create a more dynamic and engaging presentation.
To highlight text with SmartArt, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Insert a SmartArt graphic onto the slide.
- Step 2: Choose a SmartArt layout that includes a text box or boxes.
- Step 3: Enter the text you want to highlight into the text box or boxes.
- Step 4: Use the “SmartArt Tools” tab in the ribbon to format the SmartArt as desired. This may include changing the color, size, or shape of the SmartArt.
- Step 5: If necessary, adjust the size and position of the SmartArt to ensure that the highlighted text is easily visible and does not obscure any other important elements on the slide.
When using this method to highlight text, it’s important to choose a SmartArt layout that complements the overall design of the presentation. Additionally, make sure the highlighted text is easily visible and does not get lost among other elements in the SmartArt graphic.
Tips and Tricks for Highlighting Text in PowerPoint
Now that you know how to highlight text in PowerPoint, let’s take a look at some tips and tricks to make your highlighting more effective.
Tip 1: Choose Colors Wisely
- When highlighting text, it’s important to choose colors that are easy to read and visually appealing. Stick with bright, bold colors that contrast well with your text. Avoid using colors that are too light or too similar to your text color, as they may be difficult to see.
Tip 2: Don’t Overdo It
- While highlighting text can be a great way to draw attention to important points, it’s important not to overdo it. Stick to highlighting only the most critical points to avoid overwhelming your audience.
Tip 3: Use Different Highlighting Styles
- If you’re presenting information that requires multiple levels of emphasis, consider using different highlighting styles to differentiate between them.
In conclusion, highlighting text in PowerPoint is essential to make the presentation engaging and interesting. By following the simple steps we’ve outlined in this guide, you can easily highlight text and customize the highlighting to fit your needs.
Remember to choose colors wisely, avoid overdoing them, and use different highlighting styles as needed. By keeping these tips in mind, you’ll be able to create a presentation that is both informative and visually appealing.
I think we already covered all we need to know in this tutorial. I hope you have learned something new today. For more educational tutorials like this feel free to visit our website.