The discussion that you’re about to encounter is all about the introduction to PHP programming for beginners.
PHP is a server side scripting language executed on the server and an open-source programming . The first version of PHP was released by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1994 and is now considered one of the leading languages that are best for web development.
Furthermore, PHP programming was originally derived from Personal Home Page Tools but now stands for recursive acronym for php “Hypertext Preprocessor“. It works with HTML, which makes it useful for managing dynamic content, building full websites (like e-commerce sites, content management system, etc.), integrating databases, and keeping track of sessions.
The finest aspect of PHP is that it is incredibly easy to use for beginners but offers more advanced features for experienced programmers. However, you don’t need to be intimidated by the extensive list of PHP’s features.
Moreover, the PHP language can be used with popular databases such as:
- MySQL / PostgreSQL
- Microsoft SQL Server
PHP4 was also the first time that n-tier programming was made possible. It also supported Java and distributed object architectures (COM and CORBA).
Common uses of PHP
As an introduction to modern programming with PHP, here are some of the most common uses of PHP:
- Data Encryption: PHP programming allows programmers to set encryption codes for their programs (system).
- Perform System Functions: The language also supports system functions like CRUD (Create, Read, Update, and Delete).
- Control Database (DBMS) – As for back-end programmers, PHP allows them to add, modify, or delete database tables through code or queries.
- Handle Forms – Programmers can also develop a program where they can handle data from forms such as send emails through PHP.
- Cookies – PHP users were also able to access or set cookies for their applications or sites.
- Restrictions – More importantly, programmers can impose restrictions on their programs, such as establishing boundaries between the system’s main users (admin) and its other users (customers).
What Can PHP Do?
Aside from the uses of PHP programming, more features are supported within the coverage of the language.
Specifically, PHP can do the following:
- It can execute PHP code to the web server but returns it into plain embedded in HTML code in browsers.
- PHP can also collect data through forms.
- It can be used for user-access controls and restrictions.
- It can generate dynamic websites and page content.
PHP supports a wide range of important protocols, such as POP3, IMAP, and LDAP, and its execution speed is pleasingly quick, particularly when compiled as an Apache module on the Unix side.
Once the MySQL server is functioning, even the most difficult queries with large data sets can be executed in record time.
You may start trying the PHP programming with the Best PHP Projects With Source Code Free Download 2022.
Characteristics of PHP
PHP stands out from other languages for these particular characteristics:
- Easy to use
These characteristics make PHP the best language as an introduction to modern programming for beginners.
Disadvantages of PHP
Though PHP is a known and very useful language, it also has its downsides. Here are some of its disadvantages:
- PHP is not an ideal language for developing desktop applications.
- The language isn’t good for making big web apps because its code is hard to keep up with and isn’t very modular.
- It does not allow a change in the core behavior of web applications.
- It does not also guarantee the security of developed computer software.
Knowing the general purpose and downsides of PHP programming, why should you still use the language? Here are some of the reasons:
- PHP is a cross-platform language that makes it runnable on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS (Operating Systems).
- This language is also compatible with most of the servers we use these days (like XAMPP, LAMP, LEMP, MAMP, WAMP, AMPPS, etc.).
- It also supports a wide range of databases.
- It is free to use and is downloadable at php.net.
- Most of all, PHP programming is easy and runs efficiently on the server’s side.
What is new in PHP 7
The new version of PHP (PHP 7) is significantly faster than the previous stable version (PHP 5.6). This has enhanced error handling and enabled stricter type definitions for function arguments. Consequently, PHP 7 enables new operators, such as the spaceship operator (<=>).
- PHP Ucwords (With Advanced Examples)
- PHP MySQL Insert and Return ID
- PHP Fgetcsv (With Advanced Program Examples)
- PHP Preg_Replace with Advanced Examples
- PHP Spread Operator (with Advanced Program Examples)
In summary, this topic about the Introduction to PHP Programming for Beginners introduced not only the language but also its uses and characteristics. This discussion has all the knowledge that a beginner needs to understand PHP programming language.
Now, it is understood that PHP is very useful and helpful for developing websites, especially e-commerce websites. It also has a lot of advantages that overtake the disadvantages and prove that the language is worth learning.
PHP is usable in any operating system and runnable on any server. It also supports all forms of database platforms, which makes it flexible among other languages.
Nevertheless, there are a lot of reasons why you should learn PHP Development and it starts with an introduction to modern programming with PHP.