Spelling and Grammar Checker in MS Word
In this chapter, we’ll talk about how to use Spelling and Grammar Checker in MS Word. Microsoft Word has a good spelling and grammar checker that lets you find and fix any spelling or grammar mistakes in a document. This is the continuation of the previous tutorial on how to use find and replace tools in a word document.
Table of contents
- Spelling and Grammar Checker in MS Word
- What is Spelling Checker in MS Word?
- Where is Spell Check and Grammar Option in Word?
- Different Options to Check Spelling Mistakes in Word Document.
- Different Options to Check Grammatical Mistakes
- How to Use Spelling Check and Grammar in Word 2019
- Another Way to Check Spelling and Grammar Check in Word
What is Spelling Checker in MS Word?
The Word’s spell check function is set to automatically check your spelling while you type. Errors in your document will have color-coded underlines reflecting your choices, like red for spelling errors, green for grammar errors, and blue for contextual spelling errors.
Word is smart enough to find misspelled words, words that are used in the wrong way, and grammar mistakes and underlines them as follows.
- A red underlining behind spelling errors.
- A green underlining behind grammar faults.
- A blue line below correctly written but improperly utilized words.
Where is Spell Check and Grammar Option in Word?
The spell check and grammar options in Word can be found in the “Review” tab. To check spelling in a Word document, open up the document, head to the review tab, then click on “Spelling & Grammar,” part of the “Proofing” group of tools. Then a window will appear showing the first word the program believes to be misspelled.
Here’s a quick tip on how to use only the keyboard to run a spell check. Just press Alt + F7 on your keyboard, and it will start with the first misspelled word. If the first highlighted word at the top of the list is right, just hit Enter. You can also point to the right answer, ignore it, or add it to your dictionary.
Different Options to Check Spelling Mistakes in Word Document.
You can now check the spelling mistakes in the following ways.
- Ignore − If you want to ignore a word, click this button, and Word will ignore it throughout the document.
- Ignore All − Like Ignore, but this option ignores all instances of the same misspelled word, not just the first one.
- Add to Dictionary − If you choose “Add to Dictionary,” the word will be added to the Word spelling dictionary.
- Change − This will change the wrong word to the correct word that was suggested.
- Change All − Like Change, but it fixes all instances of the same misspelled word, not just the first one.
- AutoCorrect −If you choose one of the suggestions, Word adds an entry to AutoCorrect that will automatically fix this spelling mistake in the future.
Different Options to Check Grammatical Mistakes
If you have made a grammatical error, the following options are available:
|Next Sentence||You can click Next Sentence to direct the grammar checker to skip ahead to the next sentence.|
|Explain||The grammar checker displays a description of the rule that caused the sentence to be flagged as a possible error.|
|Options||This will open the Word Options dialog box to allow you to change the behavior of the grammar checker or spelling options.|
|Undo||This will undo the last grammar changed.|
How to Use Spelling Check and Grammar in Word 2019
Here are the following steps on How to Use Spelling Check and Grammar in Word 2019.
- From the Review tab, click the Spelling & Grammar command.
- On the right, the Spelling and Grammar pane will appear. Word will try to offer one or more suggestions for each error in your document. To correct the error, select a suggestion and click Change.
- Word will proceed through each error until you have reviewed them all. Following the review of the last error, a dialog box will appear confirming that the spelling and grammar check is complete. Click OK.
- If no suggestions are provided, you can type the correct spelling in your document manually.
Another Way to Check Spelling and Grammar Check in Word
To fix a spelling mistake
The following are ways to fix a spelling mistake:
- Right-click the underlined word, then select the correct spelling from the list of suggestions.
- The corrected word will appear in the document.
- You can also choose to Ignore All instances of an underlined word or add it to the dictionary.
To correct grammar mistakes:
The following are ways to fix a grammar mistakes:
- Right-click the underlined word or phrase, then select the correct spelling or phrase from the list of suggestions.
- The corrected phrase will appear in the document.
In this tutorial, we’ve talked about how to use the spell and grammar checkers in MS Word as well as what those terms mean. We also gain insight into what the tips are for using the spell and grammar checker in an MS Word document. Furthermore, we learned how to check spelling and grammar in Word in a different way.
We hope this tutorial helps you as you plan to create a document in MS Word.