typeerror: object nonetype can’t be used in ‘await’ expression |Fixed

In this article, we will discuss the explore what this error object nonetype can’t be used in ‘await’ expression means, why it occurs, and how you can fix it. In creating the python program, you cannot avoid to encounter errors which is common occurrence.

One of the error that you might encounter while working in Python is the “typeerror: object nonetype can’t be used in ‘await’ expression” error. This error can be frustrating and confusing into your mind, especially if you are not familiar with asynchronous programming or Python’s asyncio library.

Why the object nonetype can’t be used in ‘await’ expression error occur?

The “typeerror: object ‘nonetype’ can’t be used in ‘await’ expression” error is a type error that occurs because you are trying to use the ‘await’ keyword with an object that has a value of None. In Python, the None object means the absence of a value, and it is similar to null in other programming languages.

Other common possible reason the error occur

The following are the common possible reason the error occurs:

• Forgetting to return a value from a coroutine.
  • Calling a function that doesn’t return anything.
  • Using an object that has a value of None.

Also explore some resolve python error:

How to solve the object nonetype can’t be used in ‘await’ expression?

The object NoneType can’t be used in ‘await’ expression error occurs when you are trying to use the await keyword on a variable that is None. This will happen if a function or method you are calling returns None instead of an awaited coroutine.

To solve this error, you need to make sure that the function or method you are calling actually returns an awaited coroutine, and not None. Here are some examples of how to do this:

import asyncio
async def my_coroutine():
    return "Welcome to the tutorial for object nonetype can't be used in 'await' expression"

async def my_async_function():
    result = await my_coroutine()
    return result

# call my_async_function
result = asyncio.run(my_async_function())
print(result)

In this example, my_coroutine() is a coroutine function that returns a string. my_async_function() is an asynchronous function that calls my_coroutine() using the await keyword, and returns its result. To call my_async_function(), you can use the asyncio.run() function.

If you run the code above, the output is look like this:

C:\Users\Dell\PycharmProjects\pythonProject\venv\Scripts\python.exe C:\Users\Dell\PycharmProjects\pythonProject\main.py
Welcome to the tutorial for object nonetype can’t be used in ‘await’ expression

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

Can I use ‘await’ with any object in Python?

No, you can only use ‘await’ with objects that are awaitable, such as coroutines, asyncio tasks, and some types of generators.

Is the TypeError: object NoneType can’t be used in ‘await’ expression a common error in Python asynchronous programming?

Yes, the error is common in Python asynchronous programming, especially when dealing with async functions that return None.

Conclusion

In conclusion, make sure that the functions you are calling return an awaited coroutine, so that you can avoid the TypeError: object NoneType can’t be used in ‘await’ expression error.

Leave a Comment